Feliz Ano Novo

Happy New Year! The time is almost upon us so I thought I would make a suggestion for those of you lucky enough to be in Lisboa for New Years Eve.

Like any other major city, Lisbon will be putting out the party flags. The main celebrations this year will be held on the newly renovated Praça do Comércio. There will be music supplied by Portuguese group A Fúria do Açúcar. Another popular band Xutos e Pontapés will perform after the pyrotechnics. A firework spectaculor over the river will take place at midnight to ring in 2011.

The event kicks off at 10pm so get your dancing shoes ready.

by hmerinomx on Flickr - with thanks

Wishing you a beautiful 2011.
Love Lily

6 comments for “Feliz Ano Novo

1. Linda Alvarado
    December 31, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Thank you for ur website. We just arrived Lisbon and will be here for 3 years and are trying to find things to do. Thank u.

• Lily
      December 31, 2010 at 6:55 pm

You’re very welcome Linda. How wonderful for you to have so much time to explore Lisbon. I am sure you will love it 🙂

2. January 3, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Hey I missed this year in Lisbon. I was in Praça do Comércio a couple of years back and the NYW event was fab. Damp squid in 2009 as they’d moved it to Belém and it kinda lost it’s lustre.

Would’ve loved to have seen how the square looks. I went downtown loads of times hoping to get a peek at what they were doing.

Memories 🙂

• Lily
      January 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Me too – I wish I’d been there. I reckon it was a lot better being back Praça do Comércio!

3. Mike
    January 4, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Feliz Ano Novo Lisboa! Romantically my recent visit was the mother of all disasters but I am now so much more confident about visiting on my own. in the meantime I deal with the ‘saudade’ with a rare visit to ‘O Fado’ in Knightsbridge. More expensive than Lisboa, maybe, but it’s like stepping into Lisboa. On leaving I would not have been surprised to step out into the Praca de Figueira, so immersed was I in the atmosphere of the restaurant! I am also lucky to have a Portuguese-run cafe very near to home!

January 4, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Hi Mike, well I’m glad to hear you feel more confident in visiting Lisbon on your own. It is a friendly city. You are very lucky to have O Fado nearby!