In Response to Georgia’s Challenge

Recently on YouTube, a lady by the name of Georgia issued me with a challenge I had to take up. After watching my Love phrases in Portuguese video she said

You know what? I’d love to hear you speaking difficult words such as “Inconstitucionalissimamente” (yes it’s a word). 😉

So then – here goes…
Here is my attempt at the above word. Wish me luck and tell me how I did. I had to guess at the pronunciation 🙂

Inconstitucionalissimamente
Challenge

6 comments for “In Response to Georgia’s Challenge

1. Georgia Nicole
    July 1, 2008 at 11:24 am

Now you need to say it 10 times as quickly as you can. Okay????Just joking.
    Anyway, you did great. But you’ve changed the intonation in “lissi”. Imagine that there is a “´” in “li” (“líssi”) and then you will be 100% right. Okay?
    If you think that will be much better if I say it, just ask. But I think that you can do it.
    Kisses

July 1, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Hi Georgia
    Thanks for coming to listen. I understand exactly what you mean – it’s like there’s a hidden accent on the first ‘i’. I shall leave my original here so people know what my first attempt was like but now I understand how to say it. Obrigada x

3. Georgia Nicole
    July 7, 2008 at 1:20 am

I’m glad you understood. I was a little bit afraid of it. You are a good learner…rsrsrs
    I hope you enjoy the new world in your vocabulary 🙂
    Kisses

4. JB
    July 16, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Oh my god… I couldn’t spell it on my first attempt.
    That’s an hard one, even for a native.

Rgds

5. August 28, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Hey Lily,

I read an article recently in “El Pais” newspaper that said that Portugal’s Parliament has passed an initiative to “standardize” Portugal Portuguese by adding over 2,000 words from Brazilian Portuguese into Portugal Portuguese. Have you heard of this or read about this recently? It’s quite an interesting thing for a government to do.

When I just recently started learning Portuguese, I decided I wanted to learn Brazilian Portuguese, but I’m curious as to how vast the differences are between Brazilian and Portugal Portuguese.

Good job on pronouncing that word, by the way. I’ll have to work up to that some time soon!

August 28, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Hi Jeff
    Yes I’ve heard about it and I hear it’s caused a big argument in Portugal. For example in Brazil they have removed consonants that are unpronounced so in Portugal they would spell óptimo with a ‘p’ but in Brazil it’s ótimo. I’ve only just learned the Portuguese from Portugal!
    There’s an interesting piece in Portuguese on LingQ that talks about the differences in the two – LingQ podcast 13. That talks about spelling differences and pronunciation.
    From what I’ve seen and heard the differences aren’t vast. Sometimes verbs are used slightly differently and pronouns might be before the verb instead of after but it’s still the same language.