Where to Buy Portuguese Food Online

Azulejo 10Once you have visited Portugal and discovered the wonderful cuisine available, you may find yourself missing the tastes and smells of the foods you sampled. Thankfully, the wonder of internet shopping means that we can all find somewhere to purchase some of those fabulous foods.

Perhaps you are a whizz in the kitchen and need to find traditional ingredients, perhaps you are missing the taste of home. Maybe it’s just that you can’t forget the delicate flavour of Serra de Estrella cheese. Whatever the reason, there are several good online stores which cater to Portuguese food lovers around the world.

Here is a round-up of some of the best places you can buy Portuguese food online.

Portuguese Food HamperI’ll start off with a site for those of you in the UK. Portuguese Food.co.uk is a new online shop catering specifically to the UK market. I thank my colleague at work for this one as he spotted a sticker in the back window of a car advertising the site in Manchester and knowing my endless obsession with everything Portuguese, pointed it out to me the following day!

Portuguese Food.co.uk is a Portuguese run company with a nice range of foods online. They have a good looking, easy to navigate website and a passion for Portuguese food. I emailed the owners and asked them to tell me a little more about the company. Here’s what they had to say:-

“We offer a truly unique range of High Quality and specialised produce from various regions of Portugal including our very own Home made branded goods. One such produce is pork in the form of Chorizo & Serrano Ham, which in Portugal is a tradition that has been around for hundreds of years for which Portugal is now famous. Many Portuguese families would cure the meat from a whole pig utilising every part to make a range of delicious cured chorizos packed with herbs and spices.
We supply to UK Restaurants, Hotels and various catering outlets direct from our warehouse in Portugal. We find that the customer experience brings them back for more.”

For the vegetarians amongst you, they also offer traditional sea salt, confectionary, beautiful cheeses, olives and of course olive oil. They also offer a Portuguese hamper which would make a lovely gift for your Portuguese friends who live in England.

This is an excellent new site and I imagine they will have more to offer in the future. Note that they also supply wholesale to the restaurant trade as well.

Staying in the UK for the moment, there is also a company called Supermercado Portugal.  They have a physical shop in London as well as an online shop. They stock a huge range of products from food and drink to cleaning products and supply both individuals and wholesale.

Moving on to those in the States now, there is a great website called Portuguese Food.com which has a vast range of products to choose from. If you are missing sweet bread or pasteis de nata, this is where to come. As well as stocking meats, cheeses and condiments, this company also stocks a large variety of products which would be found ‘back home’. You can also find hampers and a few kitchen items such as crockery made in traditional Portuguese style. A nice touch to this site is that they also provide a section of Portuguese recipes.

Surprisingly Amazon.com have quite a range of Portuguese foods on offer from a variety of suppliers. I’ve already done the hard work for you by scouring the site and creating a Portuguese Food section in the Store here at In Love With Lisbon.  You can wander through the virtual aisles by clicking here and then selecting ‘Gourmet Food’. 🙂

Last but not least is a site called Amarals Market. Amongst their many products is a large range of cheeses both domestic and imported. They also have a nice selection of traditional marinades and marmalades.

I hope you have enjoyed my round-up of Portuguese food retailers online. Please check the comments section below because some of my visitors have also left recommendations of other Portuguese food stores online. If you know of anywhere else, please do leave a comment.

55 comments for “Where to Buy Portuguese Food Online

1. April 11, 2008 at 2:45 am

Such a beautiful blog…makes me want to travel…

2. May 12, 2008 at 3:59 pm

For all those like me who love Portuguese food there’s a great new Portuguese family run business that has recently started up called Gourmet Portugal (www.gourmetportugal.pt). They offer a fantastic range of Portuguese food sourced from all over the country – everything from wines selected from the vineyards from Ribatejo to cheeses, honey and my personal favourite, the delicious fruit jams. They sell individual products as well as hampers that make great gifts and can be sent anywhere in Europe. I bought a hamper online to send back to family in the UK recently and it went down a treat. I certainly recommend anyone in Portugal or the UK to check out what they have to offer! Gourmet Portugal hampers can be ordered online at http://www.gourmetportugal.pt or by phone on (00351) 93 965 5123 or (00351) 93 404 4085.

May 12, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Hi Anna
    Thanks for your comment! I’ve just visited the site and it looks great. I encourage my visitors here to go and take a look too. Personally I must have to order some quinze jam. I haven’t had this for years! Obrigada x

4. Monica Cruz
    November 3, 2008 at 5:46 am

Lucky me I’m portuguese and had the opportunity to taste everything for 25 years! :op But now that I moved to the other side of the world (Seattle) I find it very hard to get portuguese food. There is only one store in downtown Seattle called The Spanish Table (www.spanishtable.com), and yes it’s almost everything from Spain but they have some portuguese products and they sell online too… Other than that I have to go to Vancouver B.C. to actually find a restaurant and some wholesale stores or a bakery!
    Thank you so much for your research, and I hope you can get to know Porto, where I was born, i don’t think you’ve been there yet otherwise your website would be called In Love With Oporto… (there has always been a lot of rivalry between Oporto and Lisbon…) :op

November 3, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Hi Monica
    Theres not many places where I live in the UK either to buy Portuguese food – just a little shop in the local market that sells Bacalhau. I hope to go to Porto too – it does look very beautiful as well 🙂

6. Patricia Faria
    December 9, 2008 at 4:49 pm

hi!
    whilst searching online for portuguese food for this christmas (to be spent in the UK), i came across a website called fishfanatics.co.uk where you can order bacalhau (salt cod) from. It isn’t cheap, but as this is apparently an endangered species and actually quite expensive in Portugal too, seems like a good option.
    there is also an info hotline info@fishfanatics.co.uk or 0870 7444110.
    I’m ordering mine today and will let you know how good it is.
    Excellent site by the way 🙂
    Good luck on your exams!
    x

December 9, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Hi Patricia
    Thanks for sharing the link. I’m sure that will be useful for others as well who want to buy bacalhau.
    I passed by exams – thankyou 🙂

8. Paulo Ferreira
    May 1, 2009 at 1:11 am

If you are in the U.S. and / or California there is a store in Artesia, California that has a little of everything and baked goods.

http://www.portugalimports.com – they even ship for only $10

Bacalhau, Quiejo Topo, linguica, Chourico, Portuguese Sardines, Azeite Portugues.. and much more.

9. Anita Barros Tanabe
    May 2, 2009 at 7:08 am

Interested in finding the nearest place to buy samp and linguica & chourica in the seattle area. I usually buy gaspar linguica from mass. Too expensive. the sausage usually isn’t too difficult to get but the samp is. Pike market has the bacalhau.
    Anita

10. June 13, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for the beautiful blog and links – I’ll check it out. I also buy Portuguese Products at:

June 13, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Hi Sheryl
    Thanks for commenting and also for your suggested link x

12. February 9, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Anyone that can help me to get a hold of portogise chocolate 70%, also condenced milk, minced meat and lovely yummy portoguise cheese mmmmm

also the portoguise chocolate moose is so much better than the norwegian one so what kind of chocloate do you use and what is it that makes it more sticky rather than so airy?

February 9, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Hi Nina
    I’m not sure which country you are in but Portuguesefood.co.uk sells Portuguese cheeses.

Mmm chocolate mouse is lovely!

There’s lots of recipes on the net but they are all very similar.

If you understand Portuguese, there’s a video on this page

14. February 11, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Im in NORWAY

15. February 11, 2010 at 4:34 pm

do u know where i can get proper portogise 70% cooking choc?

February 11, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Portuguesefood.co.uk sell chocolate 70% http://www.portuguesefood.co.uk/black-chocolate-0085kg-p-67.html

I’m not sure if they ship to Norway but maybe if you ask them they will.

17. Rebecca
    June 9, 2010 at 10:27 am

Hi Could anyone help me buy a bottle of Ginja de Portugal (cherry licor) I am in the UK
    Many thanks
    Rebecca

• Lily
      June 9, 2010 at 11:33 am

Hi Rebecca
      I haven’t bought Ginjinha in the UK. Where in the UK are you? There’s a Portuguese shop in Manchester where I am. Next time I go, I can check and I’ll also ask some Portuguese people I know. For the time being I found a company called Portugalia Wines online which sells Ginjinha. I haven’t used them myself however. It’s a lovely drink though!

• f4tias
        February 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm

hi Lily any chance u could give me the adress for the portuguese shop in manchester plz

• February 20, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Hi – Thanks for your comment. The address is 28 Swan Street, Manchester M4 5JQ. It’s on the Northern Quarter opposite Band on the Wall 🙂

18. Miguel
    September 11, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Hi

Thanks for this site. lots of Portuguese foods around for those of us far away from Home. The site Portuguesefoods.co.uk is very pricey.. I think we may as well drive to the nearest shop, even if 300miles away we can save lots of money rather than paying a fortune from the above site.

Nonetheless, this is a good initiative. It is just a pity that Portuguese food is so little on demand which makes it so pricey. If only Portuguese people were as entrepreneurs as the Polish or Asians, who have shops everywhere and make their food available.

I have even bought Hake (pescada) from an Asian shop at £4 a kilo – amazing, and much better than the ones from Pescanova that are sold in Portuguese shops around the UK.

19. ANA
    November 21, 2010 at 10:49 am

Gostaria saber onde poderia encontrar Bacalhau para poder fazer bolos de bacalhau. Morro na Inglaterra, e gostaria fazer encomanda. muito obrigado; ANA

November 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Hi Ana
    There aren’t many offline shops I know that sell bacalhau apart from the one I know in Manchester. Portuguese foods.co.uk do sell it though x

21. Colin
    December 1, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Hi there! There is an online site that sells Salt Cod in the US and Canada. http://www.captainmorrissey.com . You can get split, boned, minced salt cod and they have Ramirez canned bacalhau, too! Reasonable price, but the shipping can be expensive. Friends and I got together to make an order which made the shipping cost far more affordable.

22. Carmo
    December 4, 2010 at 12:44 am

Hello!!
    I live in the end of the world!!Scotland!!!
    It’s so hard to find a portuguese shop online!!But I seem to find one, it’s based in london, it’s half portuguese, half brazilien.Better then nothing.I’m really excited to do my first shopping there.

Hope you like, and please tell me if you found something else
    omracod327@gmail.com

• Lily
      December 4, 2010 at 9:59 am

Hi – Many thanks for your link! I hadn’t seen that one before. It’s looks excellent. They even have Portuguese Christmas cake 🙂
      I hear it’s a little bit snowy in Scotland at the moment. I can’t wait for spring and the sunshine!

23. Luisa
    August 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Hello I live in Florida (Naples)in the USA and I am looking for Portuguese food, any idea where to go or any site???
    Thank you very much.
    Cozinheira da America (Luisa)

• Lily
      August 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Olá Luisa – I had a look online for you. I found this site http://acoresdistributingco.com/ which delivers to the Florida area.
      Unfortunately I cannot find any other stores near to you in Naples. Hopefully however you can order from one of the online stores in my post.

24. November 11, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Thank you for the link above , just got my delivery from http://www.supermercadoportugal.com and only cost me £8.00 for delivery .

Thanks,

LM
    Portmouth

• Lily
      November 12, 2011 at 8:13 am

Hi Luis
      Thanks for your feedback. Glad you had a good Portuguese shopping experience.

• September 6, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Cheaper products and wider variety to choose from aswell 🙂

25. Maria
    January 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm

HI Everyone,
    I’m in Dutchess County, New York. There are more and more portuguese people moving here, so I know there is a need here for a portuguese market. I’ve been doing my research on line to find a distributor of portuguese products, but can’t find anything. Does anyone know of one that can deliver to the Dutchess County area? I’d like to sell portuguese products, fresh fish, chorizo, pastries etc., Pretty much a one stop shop for all your portuguese needs.
    Please help!
    NY
    Maria

26. Anna Sucrna
    January 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I need to find a Portuguese store to buy Portuguese products. I live in Tyler Texas and I can’t get any Portuguese products. I will appreciate your help . Thanks
    Anna

• Jeana
      June 7, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Anna,I don’t know of a store, but there is a larger group of us here in Dallas….you can actually order from any of the portuguese stores in RI or MA and have a big shipment sent and then divide..

27. January 30, 2012 at 3:03 am

Great. I also found some Portuguese Honey for sale online http://www.portuguesehoney.com

28. July 24, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Hi everyone! I just wanna say, to those in Reading, UK (or with the possibility to travel there), there is a brand new Portuguese Restaurant called Batista’s Grill and Portuguese Cuisine. They sell all of the famous Portuguese dishes such as Bacalhau a Bras, Bitoque, Pataniscas de Bacalhau, Octopus rice and Carne de porco a Alentejana. These are just a few plus they have a grill with real charcoal! Just like in Portugal, visit, you will love it!

29. Julie
    October 22, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Hi, I live in Massachusetts USA, soon I am launching my website for Portuguese baked goods. I just want some input how big is the demand for for it?! Thank you!!

30. Ana
    November 10, 2012 at 7:31 am

Hi, I’m also in Seattle and I find it hard sometimes to find our food around. There is a small store called Bitters in the Fremont neighborhood that sells portuguese traditional pottery or mantas da serra da estrela. Any one else here in Seattle?

31. May 1, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Looking for salted cod, we have clients all over the world, maybe I can help.
    Pls feel free to contact me. Always able to help you locate a local distributor for bacalhau, bacalao, stockfish or other salted fish.

32. João
    May 28, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Hi for those looking for portuguese food shops and living in London , is quite easy to find a grocery with everything portguese , Little Portugal in Vauxhall/Stockwell area as the most in the south ,but the north , near Portobello Mrkt and up till Wilesdeen and Harlesdeen and then East area you can find hidden shops under portuguese names or by the cafe brands signs like Bicafe spot on!!! I found recently thes restaurant near the Smithfields Meat Market off Farrington at St John street really nice , there’s also the oldest restaurant in London near Kinghtsbridge O Fado with live fado sessions a must, not enough said!! Just drop me a line so i’m preparing myself to invade the borough mrkt soon with a missed link or gap of portuguese products !!!
    Obrigado

• Lily
      May 29, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Ola João – Thanks for your comment, really helpful for those in the London area 🙂 Obrigada

33. June 4, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Dear Lily, Sorry I posted our website on your page. I thought this was the right place to let other people who know where to get Portuguese products when living abroad. I never realised that you obviously have business connections with Portuguesefood.co.uk and as such deleted my post. It was not my intention to “steal” custom from you but rather to offer other people choice. Good luck with your business!

• Lily
      June 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Paulinho – Oh goodness no, I didn’t delete it. I just hadn’t approved your comment yet! I have just approved it now. The more the merrier! It’s great to give everyone options. I’m not affiliated to Portuguesefood.co.uk. I just recommend them and others who offer Portuguese food on line so that my readers know where to find goods.
      Soyou are in the right place – I just got a little behind with my web work – apologies.

34. Mike
    August 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Where can I get pasteis de nata (or belem) in manchester please? And don’t tell me Ho’s bakery, libel laws prevent my commenting!
    Obridoodah

• Lily
      August 31, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Hi Mike – Sorry for the delayed reply. There’s a deli on swan Street called The Madeira shop and there’s also a little Brazilian stall in the market in the Arndale centre 🙂

35. February 12, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I would recomend you try this website they deliver Portuguese products and groceries to the whole of the UK and Ireland

36. May 4, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Hi Lily,
    We import a small very exclusive selection of Portuguese foods into the UK from Algarve producers.
    We have an online shop. Our “Parcels from Portugal” gift boxes make lovely gifts.
    Keep up the good work….

Shirley

37. Carla
    August 6, 2014 at 10:44 pm

You have a lovely blog! I live in the UK and I can easily eat Portuguese food, simply because I know how to cook it. But there is one difference between Portuguese food in Portugal and “Portuguese” food in the UK. The truth is that, in Portugal, the products have better quality. For example, there’s a traditional dish in Portugal which is bacalhau and potatoes boiled in water (with salt). These have then a little bit of olive oil to season. And that’s the real secret of Portuguese food… Simplicity! I’ve tried to cook this same dish here and the result was disappointing. The supermarkets here have olive oil with added oil. And potatoes have no taste. The same goes for fruit, meat and vegetables.
    Don’t get me wrong, I came to the UK because British people are more open minded and I love the U.K. But when you are Portuguese and you live abroad, you realize that there’s no real food anywhere else. And that other countries don’t have the basics of cooking in their traditions.

• Lily
      August 9, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Hi Carla – é verdade! The quality of food here in the UK isn’t good at all. I notice it too. Buying from small organic suppliers is better but sometimes I think we don’t have the best weather for the best crops. The simplicity is what makes Portuguese food so tasty 🙂

38. September 6, 2014 at 12:56 pm

http://www.sintramarket.co.uk cheaper and wider variety than supermercadoportugal for UK buyers

39. September 17, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Stumbled across Supermercado Portugal ( http://www.supermercadoportugal.com/ ) when looking for Portuguese online groceries. Decided to give them a go with a small order. Received it the next day ( Aberdeen) without any issues. I have also noticed they now do a full frozen range, custard tarts etc .Definitely ordering from them again soon

Peter B

40. Zenda
    December 12, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Just wondering if there is any place in perth Australia that sells bacalhau, I’ve tried the Italian one but not as nice in my opinion

Thanks
    Zenda Bray

41. Tiago
    January 29, 2015 at 5:17 pm

If you live in the USA, and are looking for a wide range of traditional Portuguese food products visit :

Enjoy!

42. January 29, 2015 at 7:23 pm

http://www.portugaliawines.co.uk have now launched a new website that looks fab and seems the cheapest than everyone else. They are a family run business that have been working for over 30yrs in the Uk.
    The site is very easy to use, with loads of info and goodies!
    Ive bought quite a few items from them including some delicious wine, lupins and salted cod.
    Customer service is great they will help any way they can!
    I would really recommend them!

43. April 18, 2016 at 11:45 am

We were in Lisbon this March (Porto last). We love it, great food, Lovely people, excellent wine and in a City that’s exciting and full of surprises.
    If anyone has any food recommendations especially anything with Protected status pleas elet us know. I’ve added this excellent site to our pages.
    Thanks Graeme