Mariza – Cavaleiro Monge

Some time ago I wrote a post on my visit to Quinta da Regaleira so I thought I would post this video of Mariza as it is set in the grounds of the Quinta – thanks Ubi for pointing this out to me 🙂

7 comments for “Mariza – Cavaleiro Monge

1. Ubi
    October 11, 2007 at 11:21 pm

The pleasure is all mine!!!

Anything to help the Portuguese ’cause’!!! ;o)

October 12, 2007 at 7:29 am

🙂

3. Ubi
    October 16, 2007 at 8:59 am

Good morning Lily!

Maybe you would like to see Mariza’s performance on the Dave Letterman Show. I obviously loved it and it is worthwhile seeing if you like the Portuguese guitar. There are quite a few close-up bits of Luís Guerreiro playing the guitar and to see the amazingly intricate finger-work is well worth it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7UDQDl1tcw

Regards

Ubi

October 16, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Oooh – thanks for posting that – brilliant!

5. Mike
    November 4, 2010 at 5:09 pm

This is not directly related to Mariza who is just fantastic. Even though she is a younger Fadista she has not lost the roots I feel.

I recently thought I would ‘branch out’ a bit and so I ordered a CD by Deolinda. Having listened to it and read the translations I think I’ll ‘hold fire’ on Deolinda. Speaking as a novice in the world of Fado they seem to be a real rebel against traditional forms! Which fadistas follow the more ‘tradtional line’?

Does anyone know if there are copies of the lyrics (in Portuguese as well as English, of course!) available. It would be a great way to learn more Portuguese, sing along and appreciate the beauty of the poetry in so many of the songs.

November 8, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Hi Mike
    You could try Bristina Branco, Misia or Dulse Pontes. Carlos Paredes is probably the most famous Portuguese guitarist around.
    As for lyrics, the word for lyrics in Portuguese is ‘letras’ so if you type that into Google with the name of the song you should be able to find the Portuguese versions.

7. Mike
    November 9, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Thanks, I mean obrigado Lily. I shall try and see what I can find! I thought, too, that I would send a copy of the fado inspired poem I wrote to Mariza via her website. Perhaps she will never even see it but……..miracles do happen! In any case I shall stock up with Mariza CDs when I go to Lisboa in December!